The Canadian Forces used the 18 Pounder Quick Firing Gun during the First World War (1914-1918).
The 18 Pounder was in Canadian service from 1906-1941, replacing the 12 Pounder BL. This was the first modern field gun in Canadian service. It loaded fixed cartridges via the breech and featured a current recoil system that kept the gun stationary during firing by allowing the barrel to slide back and forth to absorb the shock of firing without moving the carriage.
Examples were retained in service for training into the Second World War.
Weight of projectile: 18 pounds (8.17 kilograms)
Range: 1914: 6,200 yards (5,670 meters); 1939: 11,000 yards (10,000 meters)
Detachment: gun and limber, two ammunition wagons, ten gunners, nine drivers and 20 horses. Later, gun and limber, towing vehicle and six gunners.