The Canadian Artillery used the Quick Firing 18 Pounder Gun during the First World War (1914-1918) and North Russia (1918-1919).
The 18 Pounder was in Canadian service from 1906-1941, replacing the 12 Pounder BL. It was the first modern field gun in Canadian service. Gunners loaded the 18 Pounder with fixed, one-piece cartridges from the breech. The gun included a hydraulic recoil mechanism to absorb the forces caused by firing without moving the carriage.
Canada retained the 18 Pounder for training purposes during the Second World War.
Examples were retained in service for training into the Second World War.
Weight of projectile: 18 pounds (8.17 kilograms)
Range: 1914: 6,200 yards (5,670 meters); 1939: 11,000 yards (10,000 meters)
Detachment: gun and limber, two ammunition wagons, ten gunners, nine drivers and 20 horses. Later, gun and limber, towing vehicle and six gunners.