Garrison and Coastal Artillery
In 1871, the Canadian Artillery included Field Artillery and Garrison Artillery. Garrison troops assumed responsibility for coastal defence, garrison, and siege artillery.
The Department of Militia established the Royal Canadian Garrison Artillery in 1893. Artillery competitions proved a welcome relief from militia training and guard duty. Gunners competed for positions on teams representing Canada in England.
In 1924, the RCGA dropped the word "Garrison" from its title. They became batteries of the Royal Canadian Artillery. During the two world wars, it was their duty to remain behind and defend Canada.
Coastal defence assumed renewed importance during the Second World War. Submarine and air warfare became a real threat. Every available gun went into service, even old 6-pounders from the late 19th century.