The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery
Canadian Gunners have a long and distinguished record of contribution. In 1880, Queen Victoria approved the designation of "Royal" for the batteries and gunnery schools.
In 1883, Canada authorized the formation of the Regiment of Canadian Artillery. In 1893, the Regular units became the Royal Canadian Artillery, and in 1895, the Reserve units joined. The Regiment became the Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery in 1956. The name changed to The Royal Regiment of Canadian Artillery in 1997.
Gunners served in the North-West Rebellion (1885) and the South African War (1899-1902). They served in the First World War (1914-1918) and the Second World War (1939-1945).
They later served in the Korean War (1950-1953) and West Germany during the Cold War (1951-1992). They served in the 1st Gulf War (1990-1991), Operations in Afghanistan (2001-2014), and many peacekeeping operations.
Today, the Regiment is in 33 communities across Canada and includes Regular and Reserve units.