The Inter-War Years 1919-1939
Canada's Permanent Force shrank during the interwar period. The Permanent Force included the RCHA Brigade (A, B and C Batteries), a medium battery, coastal batteries, and artillery schools.
The Reserve Army was small but active during the interwar period. The Royal Regiment started the process of going mechanized. The 3rd Medium Battery, RCA, in Kingston was the first unit mechanized, receiving four 6-wheeled Leyland tractors in 1929.
During the 1920s and 1930s, the RCHA musical horse drive was famous. Four 6-horse teams, with their guns and limbers, galloped through a maze of patterns. MGen J. H. Roberts led the last musical horse drive in Winnipeg in 1933.
Defence spending increased during the 1930s, but not at a rapid pace. It was not until the late 1930s that Canada started to rearm.