Canada established a Parachute Battery in 1949 in Shilo. The M1A1 could be broken down into small loads for operations in rough terrain and to be dropped by parachute. In this role it was put in wooden crates which were strapped to the belly of the aircraft. These were released over the Drop Zone (DZ) and the Gunners then parachuted from the aircraft. They quickly re-assembled the gun on the DZ and commenced firing.
The M1A1 remained in service with the Canadian Parachute Battery until 1956. It was replaced by the M30 4.2” Rifled Mortar.
WEIGHT OF PROJECTILE: 15 Pounds
RANGE: 9,700 yards
DETACHMENT: Gun and 5 Gunners