Early Cadillacs were robust and could handle rough roads and cross-country operations, perfect for military service.
When the Canadian Expeditionary Force sailed for Britain at the beginning of the First World War, it did so with a small supply of motorized transport. For service closer to the front, however, the CEF used British lorries.
This light truck dates to 1912 and was originally a limousine. Its frame was extended and a wooden box was added to the rear. A tarpaulin stretched over wooden bows provided protection from the elements. Its small rear door indicates its use as a troop transport.
The Manitoba Antique Automobile Museum of Elkhorn donated this vehicle in 2015 after receiving it in 1961 as part of the Isaac Clarkson vehicle collection.
Maximum Speed: 64 km/h (40 mph)
Engine: 286.3 cubic inch, 40 hp
Crew: Driver, co-driver and up to 8 passengers